I celebrated a birthday in January and received one card specifically that really got me to thinking. My dear friend wrote "The world is your oyster... so go ahead and SHUCK IT!" I love that term, not that I hadn't heard it before, but to associate it with myself and what this year has the potential to be about is so real for me that I had to share.
How many times do you see and feel things for others that you don't apply to yourself? Why is it that everyone else is worthy of making the big IT happen and we go on living our ordinary lives, devoid of our own IT??
Well, the answer to that question is the person who looks back at you in the mirror! It's really about how you see yourself, how you support yourself, and how you get in your own way towards reaching your intended goal. It's about you not letting yourself off the hook, about you carving out and keeping that time for you and what's important. It’s about putting a stop to consistently putting other people and things in your way and using them as an excuse. (whoa)... I know, I may have hit a nerve, but dammit, I'm talking to myself too!
Half of the reason why we aren't where we want to be is because we do not make ourselves a priority, often times believing and behaving as if we're the only ones who can get a certain things done. Am I right? What would happen if we suspend that idea and let others take care of themselves first. I’m not suggesting that we totally abandon our family, friends, and commitments. The challenge to myself and you is to think about you FIRST.
Here's my short list of ways that will support me as I SHUCK IT this year. Feel free to make it your own or add to it!
- Write it down/journal - My single most effective form of outlet.
- Record it - Not my cup of tea, but may work for you
- Use your most creative hours in the day to create (every day) - for me 5 - 7 am (I know.. crazy, right?)
- Put it in the calendar - Keeps you timely
- Stay out of overwhelm - once your calendar is populated, manage it properly
- Just say No – “No” is a complete sentence. Once you get into explaining why “no” is “no”, you will talk yourself into something.
- Work out/exercise - together with early morning creative time??? Game over!
- Co-create - find a partners) who shares your vision and will share the load.
- Use technology for reminders - never hurts, so use it
- Cross it off when it's complete - This motivates me!
- Schedule time for facebook, and other social media outlets - They are good for some things but not during my creative times
- Schedule time for e-mail - this disciplines not only you, but the people you respond to
- Get help from a coach - "Everybody needs somebody, sometimes!" Every coach needs a coach. I have one, do you? I would be more than happy to be a resource to you!
- Finish what you start - plan how you're either going to a) finish it or b) delegate it; or c) delete it. Thanks David Allen - Author of "Getting Things Done"
- Just do it - plain and simple... shut it down, stop with the excuses, and get it done!
This is just the beginning of great ways to shuck it this year. Please comment and add to the list!
Promise yourself that you'll do it for you. If you need accountability, connect with a friend who will hold your feet to the fire. I would be more than happy to do the same.
Click here for accountability NOW!
May 2015 be the year you SHUCK IT!
My hope & prayer is that you find your pearl along the way!
Tamarra Causley Robinson has 20+ years of experience as an IT Professional and through the many fluctuations in world of IT, uses her experience of staying relevant and prepared for change within her coaching firm, Causley Robinson & Associates where Tamarra serves as the CEO, Lead Coach and Consultant. Tamarra is a game-changer and specializes in assisting professionals who are grappling with self-imposed or organizational change by encouraging, and assisting as they work through emotions of fear, helplessness and hopelessness that change creates to a safe place of forward movement, confidence and power. Through her coaching program, clients adopt new bold and courageous ways of living their lives, unapologetically! To learn more, visit www.dare2doitnow.com