It’s been on my heart to discuss the sharp uptick in angst, anger, and dismay over the upcoming transition of power. It’s been a very difficult time for many as we watch in horror the things that have transpired since the election. Twitter fights, bullying, unnecessary aggression and devaluing of citizens lives, as legislators rush to dismantle cornerstones of our democracy and leave the public hanging high and dry… people they were elected (and paid very well) to protect and serve. It’s scarcity mentality at the utmost level.
Personally, I’ve had difficulty dealing with it as well – I cycle between anger, frustration, and sheer disbelief – along with what I have coined “Election Induced Tourrete Syndrome” – the compulsion to yell and curse in response to news commentators and public figures. Anyone else?
But I’m here today with good news.
WE CAN TAKE BACK OUR POWER. WE MUST. This moment in American history is like none other, and we cannot afford to stand back and take it.
- If you’ve been wringing your hands, worrying and shut down, it’s time to shake it off and get into action.
- If you’ve been waging wars on Facebook and Twitter, it’s time to turn that energy towards those in power and hold them accountable.
WE THE PEOPLE are in charge of this democracy. We own it. And we MUST step up to the plate. There have been other regimes around the world where tyrants have taken over, and people have survived. Resistances have formed. People find a way to thrive and stand for each other. It is no longer appropriate to sit back and wait for THEM to fix things. We are the leaders the worlds been waiting for. Each of us. It’s time to get to work.
What you can do:
- Like a good friend says, “Get local”. Volunteer for a cause you believe in. Get involved in local politics. Heck – run for office yourself! You have no idea the power that you possess. Be a part of the solution.
- Use your voice. Lobby your elected officials (at all levels) for the changes you stand for. Defend policies that are under attack. Be vigilant. Be fearless. There are many great organizations that stand for “the people” where you can amplify your voice – such as Common Cause, ACLU, People for the American Way, Color of Change, NAACP, Planned Parenthood and many others. Get involved. You don’t have to have all the answers.
- Take care of yourself, your family and your community. Life goes on. Enjoy life and embrace the people around you. Pray, feed your spiritual life and connect with like-minded people. Count your blessings and do what you can in the spaces you occupy.
- Be the change. Start something new. If you see a problem, find new ways to fix it. Step up in leadership. Use your gifts and talents to inject positivity and creativity into the world.
If it’s to be, it’s UP TO ME.
The people, united, can never be defeated!
NOW is the time to step up to the challenge before us. WE CAN DO THIS. WE MUST. Future generations are depending on us. We can’t let them down.